This Memorial Day I spent my day being suckered into
watching Godzilla, along with the other nine million losers who went to see it
on its opening weekend. On another note,
I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past… Or is it X Men: Days of Future
Past? Anyway, I went to see the new
X-Men movie just two days earlier, but suffice it to say that that showing was
not sold out, but I’m told it still made more than ninety million dollars as
well. I went with a buddy when I saw
it. He wasn’t nearly as cynical as I was
and was thoroughly enamored with the CGI destruction extravaganza. He did finally show some cynicism when
Godzilla started projectile vomiting blue fire.
But I’ll get back to that later after I give an obligatory synopsis of
the movie. Shouldn’t take too long; not much plot to the movie.
Godzilla opens when two scientists find the skeletal
remains of some huge, long dead animal that had apparently been killed by
parasites that had laid some eggs in the process. Of course, one of the eggs had already
hatched, spawning the evil Godzilla-esque, winged monster, which conveniently
makes its way to the protagonist’s work place; a nuclear power-plant. 45 minutes of exposition reveal that the
beast wants to mate with another of its kind, which there conveniently is,
kills off the protagonist’s father, tells us that the bad beasties feed on
radioactivity (they’re radioactive, radioactive) and gives us a lot of build-up
to the Godzilla reveal. The two MUTO
(the bad beasties) converge at San Francisco, which conveniently happens to be
the protagonist’s home, destroying Las Vegas in the process for no other reason
than to destroy Vegas and crashing through a lot of jungle and leveling
Honolulu. The two MUTO get to San
Francisco, lay their eggs and get their butts handed to them by Godzilla, all
while the protagonist looks on, conveniently not getting hit by any rubble.
Godzilla really is more of a disaster film than anything
else. While the monsters are obviously
much more impressive than anything else in the film, the people in charge
decided to focus instead on the characters, revolving the plot around
ex-military lieutenant Ford Brody, his wife Elle, and Godzilla scientist Ishiro
Serizawa, cutting to some random military squad when some “creature violence”
is needed. The writers bring in plot
devices like a kid who gets stuck on a train, separated from his parents when
the MUTO attacks. There also several
scenes of Elle working at the hospital, (she’s a nurse) bringing in more
disaster film themes. That’s not to say
the movie doesn’t have its fair share of monsters. The audience gets its eyeful of mayhem and
destruction between the annihilation of a forest, the destruction of Honolulu, the
destruction of Las Vegas and the leveling of San Francisco.
Unfortunately, Godzilla falls short of any
plausibility. It’s not just that there
are giant monsters running around demolishing huge cities; I can get over that
if I’m watching a movie where giant monsters are supposed to be running around
destroying our favorite (or least favorite) cities. I can even get over the fact the Godzilla is
a nice monster while the MUTOs are evil monsters. However, I can’t abide such implausibility
as:
- Ford surviving a five-hundred foot jump off of a bridge
into a fast-flowing river without so much as a scratch on his person.
- Ford surviving the explosive train crash caused by the
angry MUTO.
- The scientists who found the MUTO eggs not destroying
them on sight but rather experimenting on them.
- The military being stupid enough to think that they
could nuke a monster that feeds off of radioactivity alone.
- The military being stupid enough to launch missiles at
Godzilla while he’s right next to the golden gate bridge and there are still
civilians on it.
- The military being stupid enough to close and blockade
the Golden Gate Bridge while there are still civilians on it, most of whom are
children
- The winged MUTO being impaled by a large metal beam
sticking out of a building but not being affected by the hundreds of other
building it had flown into headfirst.
- The main characters not once being hit by rubble in the
entirety of the film, even though whole cities had been leveled.
- Godzilla suddenly having the spontaneous ability to
projectile vomit a stream of blue fire at his enemy.
- Godzilla surviving being crushed underneath a falling
skyscraper-esque building.
- The flammable liquid that Ford dumps on the ground by
the MUTO egg sac suddenly exploding into a giant ball of fire.
- The people in Honolulu being able to outrun the
colossal tsunami caused by Godzilla getting out of the water.
- Ford living in the exact same cities the two MUTOs are
traveling toward and having a father
who happens to have worked at the power plant when the first MUTO settled there
and who happened to be the only one who realized that the two MUTOs were
communicating.
- Why aren’t the streets of these cities covered in
corpses and dead bodies? Surely there
were some people who died during the
MUTO attacks. I’m pretty sure the only
official deaths in the movie are Ford’s father and the two MUTOs.
I have to commend Godzilla for its visual design. It often sets a scene in dim lighting with a
dark background while also incorporating highlights of color (usually red)
through red flares or Chinatown red balloon thingies or red overhead lights,
etc. The MUTOs fell a little short of my
expectations, looking like they had just stepped out of Pacific Rim. Godzilla
himself looks great: gigantic, menacing, and intimidating. That is, he looks gigantic, menacing, and
intimidating until he stands up and starts fighting another monster. Godzilla's fighting style pretty much consists
of pushing the enemy down and then stepping on them. It’s not nearly as interesting as robots
slugging and stabbing monsters in Pacific
Rim. The CGI chaos is appropriately
vivid and exceeds expectations, worthy of comparison to the Transformers films and Avengers.
The audio design was extremely well done too. Everything from the roars to pounding music perfectly compliments the visuals. The soundtrack, composed and conducted by Alexandre Desplat, pairs beautifully with the rest of the sounds of the film bringing in deep drums and loud horns to pair with the calls and roars of the giant beasts the story revolves around. It plays off the suspense, peril, or action as the occasion calls for, bringing in different tempos or instruments to fit in with the scene. The sound, projected all about you in the theater, really immerses you in the movie, no 3D glasses required. Each scene, the combination of lighting, visual effects, sound and music all build up to great design and execution, quite possibly being the highlight of the whole movie.
The audio design was extremely well done too. Everything from the roars to pounding music perfectly compliments the visuals. The soundtrack, composed and conducted by Alexandre Desplat, pairs beautifully with the rest of the sounds of the film bringing in deep drums and loud horns to pair with the calls and roars of the giant beasts the story revolves around. It plays off the suspense, peril, or action as the occasion calls for, bringing in different tempos or instruments to fit in with the scene. The sound, projected all about you in the theater, really immerses you in the movie, no 3D glasses required. Each scene, the combination of lighting, visual effects, sound and music all build up to great design and execution, quite possibly being the highlight of the whole movie.
All in all, Godzilla was an entertaining movie and a good
way to spend an afternoon free of school.
Honestly I’m torn between recommending this movie and not recommending
it. I would say it’s not worth the
$10.50 to see in theatres, but if I were to recommend it at all, I would tell
you to go ahead and see it on the big screen with loud music and big special
effects. I suppose if you’re a big
monster movie fan you should go see it, anyone else I would recommend buy a
giant TV from the Costco and then return ten days later, after you’ve seen
it. What? That’s what everyone does for the Superbowl!!!
![]() |
| Godzilla, as seen projectile vomiting a stream of blue flame |


No comments:
Post a Comment
Despite what my sub-header may have you believe, I welcome any and all critique. Please share whatever opinions, complaints, comments, and/or criticisms you may have concerning this post. If you are acquainted with me, for the sake of my own anonymity, I kindly request that you refer to me using my username or some other pseudonym. If you choose to identify yourself as anonymous, PLEASE leave a name or pseudonym (preferably something clever, but I understand if you can't think of anything).